View Single Post
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Aug-22-03, 18:43
Registered Member

Plan: My Own
Stats: 280/118/117.5 Female 5ft 5.25 in
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi, i may be out of place in this thread (this is the first time i ever tried dieting and i am not at my goal yet), but these are things i keep in mind to stay motivated:

1) Big changes are comprised of little changes. Instead of looking at that sweet carb food as just a meal which won't do much harm, "oh i can always go back on induction", etc. Look at the food you are going to eat as obesity. Look at it as death and a miserable life in bondage to weight. Eating that stuff is logically the same thing as submitting to a life of being obese. Which do you value more, knowing you can eat as much as you want of anything you want but you feel like sh*t, or a lifestyle which is non-obese where you feel good about yourself?
In the same vein, every time you feel tempted to over eat or not exercise, instead of looking at those activities separate from the big picture, look at it as the big picture. Pretend that half hour exercising or not overeating alone will make/keep you thin. The key is not getting caught up in the short term pleasure of carb addiction, because ultimately you will sacrifice serious long term well being.

2) Whenever you are craving something, think of a low carb alternative so you dont suffer.
Want pizza? Use diced tomatos as sauce, and sliced baked eggplant as bread, top with a hearty helping of mozzarella, crunchy veggies and meat. A much lower glycemic AND healthy alternative!
Want chips? Low carb chips are available, or eat some nuts with low carb dip.
Sweets? Cheesecake! Low carb candy! Berries with sweetened (splenda) cream!
The only high carb food which is almost impossible to replicate (and sadly, which i truly crave) is rice and chinese. Chinese loses a lot of its effect without the carb high and bland rice to balance out the intensity of the salty food. But, you can still make yummy stir frys, you just have to eat it without the rice.

Personally i think a lot of people reach their goal and sort of loose vigilance which is why most people regain. Or, they falsely believe once they loose the weight they can eat like other people. I feel myself getting that way sometimes. I just remind myself of the whole "big changes are only little changes" mantra, which helps. You cannot look at how far you have to go OR how far you come, else you will cease to make intelligent, rational decisions. The former will discourage you, the latter will let you slip up. Just look at your weight loss in the moment, and remember the decisions you make now are equivalent to your weight in the future.