#21   ^
Old Fri, Aug-22-03, 10:48

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 192/165/140 Female 5' 6"
BF:Shrinking
Progress: 52%
Default Diverticulosis

rhaazz--
I have had diverticulosis since at least 1995. Had part of my colon removed in 2001. It's a disease that used to affect only the elderly, but is showing up in many folks in their 30s. This is due to our poor diet -- especially not enough fiber -- and those nasty carbs contribute to the problem.

If this runs in your family (it's not hereditary, but bad eating habits are), you may want to use preventative measures with this WOE. Every day I take metamucil and one colace pill. Colace (or the cheaper generic) is a stool softener, and will keep stool soft so it moves through the intestine easily. Drink LOTS of water. Flax oil is excellent, also.

I have been on Atkins since 6/1/03, have lost 22 lbs., and mostly "go" once a day, if not more. Everyone should have a "movement" daily. If they aren't, they're not ridding themselves of toxins and place undue pressure on their colon. If you are worried that you're not going often enough, taking a stool softener will help move things along -- and it's not habit forming like laxatives, so you can take it daily.

I'm not a doctor, but I am living with this disease and successfully low-carbing. I hope my two cents helped a bit.