Registered Member

Plan: my own
Stats: 153/146/120 Female 5'2
BF:
Progress: 21%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natrushka
Hey there, Toots. Just wanted to jump in with my 3 cents

I'm not sure if you're aware but the rest in between sets is designed to bring about specific results. Longer rests allow muscles to recover more, allowing you to lift heavier weights. This also yeilds more muscle growth due to more muscle tearing.

...p.s. Just a thought - do you have heavier weights than those available to you?

Hey, Nat!

I used a Joyce Vedral aerobic strength training routine as a sort of two-fer since today should've been HIIT. It's a regimine I used with success some years ago and, honestly, I meant to pyramid all the sets but someone had been in my weight bin. And, okay, I finally believe the minute is necessary to allow for more weight and tearing. It makes SO much sense, thanks, Nat! (I'm working on my patience!) But (she asked, still trying to do it her way), doesn't stretching serve the same purpose? When I get a good stretch on between sets it relieves the lactic acid burn and I'm able to do the next set with heavier weights. With some sets I need the whole minute but not the first two.

I went shopping for a barbell yesterday and the only one that fit was out of stock. The others were really long (and intimidating). I can seriously use more weight for the chest and back and even the biceps and triceps (with the 1 min. rest). So, today when I was working out I was searching for a way to get a burn with what I had. Until I get the barbell set I'm considering using my ankle weights on my wrist for the presses. My trainer had me do that before but the ROM is limited, of course because the cuffs are large. I don't want to have to find a way to neatly store more barbells.

Thanks!!