View Single Post
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Aug-21-03, 12:22

Plan: atkins
Stats: 236/236/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress:
Default Wish I was diagnosised earlier

I am happy to hear that some of you were diagnosised in your 20's! I was recently diagnosised for PCOS last year at the age of 33! I have been going to doctor after doctor trying to get this sorted out. Telling them my symptoms and basically what I wanted done for it. All the previous doctors put me on BC and told me we'd worry about the problem when I wanted children. As if...weight gain, hair growth and acne were not enough reason for concern! Finally one doctor did the whole series of tests and I was placed on Yasmin. Which was working fine. Then we moved. Now I am in the process of trying to find a new doctor that deals specifically with this issue. Especially since NOW we are trying to get pregnant.
In fact, I went to a doctor today, and told him that I have not had a mens. cycle since coming of the pill. Told him I wanted to have children and try and get my PCOS under control (of some sort). He never even acknowledged my statements.
BACK to the list of Dr's.
Anyway...I have been irregular since my teens. Having always been active in sports, most dr's said the irregularrity was part of growing up.
But I was always of normal weight. In my late twenties I noticed additional hair and additional weight gain. One doctor told me I should be walking/running 5 miles a day to lose the weight. (of course this is one doctor that refused to do blood work to find out what was wrong!)
Needless to say, it would have been nice to find a pro-active dr that would have diagnosised me younger. And then today to top it off with a dr that basically ignored my statement. AHHH---Frustration!
If anyone has a name of a Dr in South Florida that specializes in PCOS, please post it!
Thanks.