Old Wed, Aug-20-03, 17:59
Registered Member

Plan: CKD
Stats: 225/170/150 Male 66
BF:
Progress: 73%

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc48510
Good post. To add to the above...the kcal/g used by the government is incorrect. It is based solely on how many calories your body gets from a given macronutrient. It does not take into account how many calories are expended breaking down that macronutrient.

Fat has a true caloric value of closer to 5 kcal/g, not the 9 kcal/g used by the government. I'm not sure what Protein's true caloric value is, but I know it is virtually nill. Carbohydrates [especially Hi-Glycemic ones] are very easy to break down and thus have true caloric values close to their government assigned value of 4 kcal/g. Fiber has a true caloric value of 0 kcal/g...and for once the government agrees setting the caloric value for Fiber at 0 kcal/g.

cc, do you have an online link for this information? I'd like to be able to pass it on to someone else, but I'd like a more official-sounding source than "Something I read on a low-carb support website."

I'm not sure I believe the metabolic advantage of a low-carb diet myself, not having been inclined to weigh my food to the gram before eating. Maybe I lost 45 pounds by calorie restriction and not metabolic advantage -- but I'm surprised it was as easy as it was, if that was the case.