View Single Post
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Aug-20-03, 17:01

Plan: low carb & Atkins
Stats: 318/296/195 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 18%

I think what escapes the author is how debilitating these epileptic seizures are, and the toll they take on children's development. Kids with sever epilepsy could be brain damaged for life or die without the ketogenic diet. The diet is prescribed for 2-5 years and in most cases the child can stop the diet after that time, and be free of seizures..
So what if their cholesterol is high for a few years? They are alive and well, and they have many years to correct that.

It is like saying that chemotherapy is like poisoning the body and it is bad for you. Of course it is bad but what are the alternatives?

And while I am on the soap box: The claims that Atkins like diets are bad for you are probably also correct, but what you rather have, a person that eats a "balanced" diet who weighs 400lb with diabetes, of a person who eats an "unbalanced" diet for a while, but is dropping weight and is healthier.. Critics of lo-carb diets scream bloody hell if someone wants to go on 2-3 weeks induction, but will not bat an eye if someone chooses to do a gastric bypass surgery... Go figure.

Ok ok, I am getting off...