View Single Post
  #1   ^
Old Wed, Aug-20-03, 11:59

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 132/126.7/118
BF:
Progress: 38%
Default To die for Chicken Pot Pie w/parmesan crust

Ok, so hubby has been bugging me to make him a chicken cheese pot pie and I have been avoiding it for carb reasons. He wanted one today so I made two- one his way and one low carb. Was skeptical about how it would turn out, but it is amazing! Here is the recipe- you add whatever veggies you are allowed to have per carb requirements. all carb counts are via fitday.com

Crust: 16 carbs
1.2 c vital wheat gluten (12)
1 tbsp defatted soy flour (3)
1 tbsp flax seed
2 tbsp parmesan cheese (1)
1.5-2 tbsp ice water
4 tbsp cold butter, cut in cubes
spices to taste (parsley and basil work great)
dash pepper, dash salt

Filling: base has 6 carbs, veggies add carbs
1.5-2 cups chicken broth- canned or homemade(1)
1 cup chicken- cooked/chopped (~1)
2 tbsp butter, softened to room temp
1 tbsp white flour(yes white!)(3.8)
small amount of thickennotthin or other starch
seasonings to taste(poultry seasoning, pepper, celery salt)
Any veggies you want to add, cooked until just tender, not full cooked

To make crust: Mix all dry ingredients. cut cold butter into dry mix until it resembles coarse meal. Add 1.5 tbsp cold water and mix by hand until it forms ball of dough that sticks together. Add slightly more water if necessary. Form a disc with dough and wrap in saran wrap- refrigerate at least 30 mins

To make filling: Bring broth to a boil. while it is heating, mix butter and flour together using your hands. Add to boiling broth, small amounts at a time, stirring constantly. After fully disolved, add 1/2 tsp thickener, and wait 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Should resemble chicken gravy in texture/thickness. If not, add slightly more thickener. add seasonings to taste. Remove from heat and pour into 8x8 baking dish. Add any veggies and chicken now. Roll out crust till it fits top of dish and place on dish. cut slits in it, and coat with beaten egg. If you want a top and bottom crust, you can divide dough in half before refrigerating and put one in bottom of pan before filling.

Bake at 425 for 15 minutes, reduce heat to 325 and bake 10 mins more. Serve hot. It tastes almost as good as hubbies, with only about 1/8th of the carbs! With 10 large baby carrots, this recipe yeilds 4 servings with net 7.5 carbs each! YUM YUM YUM! I just finished eating it!
nann

Edit- update!!! my husband who is a nonlowcarber tasted it, and said it was better than his, so I get to make it this way form now on! It is awesome.
Sponsored Links