#15   ^
Old Wed, Aug-20-03, 08:07

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by krc
So the question is what exactly do I do for my cardio. I've been doing interval training and I thought I read somewhere that a solid 20 minute session alternating high intensity for a minute or two and then backing off for a minute was good. Nat, is that a BFL thing?
Kim, if you're doing the intervals now and you'd like to change it up or modify it (a good idea IMHO) try the odd longer slower session. HIIT is what you're talking about - alternating intensity for a minute, or 30 seconds and then backing off again. BFL is a little different, it's intervals, but you don't go all out until the last one. I've seen quite a few recommendations to do a couple of HIIT sessions a week and one other different type of cardio slower and less intensely, for variety.

If you're doing a 20 minute HIIT-like session then weights is still doable, most workouts are around 45 minutes, keeping you near 60 minutes.

You know what makes my hip flexors ache? Incline leg raises - exrx.net has a host of exercises for this area FYI.

BTW, Kim, if you're not crazy about cardio cutting down a little and / or taking a break isn't a bad thing, IMHO, it's better than too much, especially if you're trying to preserve lean mass.

No kids certainly makes the whole selfish workout thing easier - but the cats do try to take part, they love ab day. Orange one is Elvis (aka Guido, The Hoover, Garbarator) the tabby is Maxwell (think "princess" )

-Nat