Old Tue, Aug-19-03, 19:21
Carb Nazi

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 260/255/160 Male 6'0
BF:YES!
Progress: 5%
Default Potassium Help

Hi everyone:

Doing well so far, sticking to my 10 - 15 carbs a day, walking 3 to 4 miles four days a week and have lost 14 lbs in three weeks. I feel great as well. I am only drinking about 40 oz of water a day and have had to take a mild laxative on and off for obvious reasons. I take a blood pressure medication that has a diuretic in it. I am 41 years old and still about 55 lbs overweight.
I had chest pains about 6 months ago (turned out I simply strained my heart muscle lifting something) but during all the tests I was told my potassium level was low. The emergency room put me on a very strong potassium supplement for two weeks and told me to follow up with my doctor, but of course, after I found out through my EKG, etc. that I was still healthy as a horse, I didn't do it.
Now I am worried about my potassium levels on the Atkins diet. I realized I am getting almost none in my diet. The only thing I eat that has any of significance is cottage cheese which has 150g in 1/2 cup and I eat that every day, but supposedly that is only like 5% of the RDA. So, I bought some potassium supplements today but they only have like 90gs each and I would have to eat about 20 of them a day to get 100% of the RDA. It recommends no more than 3. I am also taking a daily multi-vitamin.
Again, I feel great but I know that potassium regulates heart rhythm and such and I don't want to have a heart attack during this process.
First of all, is there anyway on the Atkins diet (outside of a prescription) to intake enough potassium? Secondly, am I concerned about nothing? Would my body "tell me" if I was too deficient? Thanks for any direction you can give me... mad
Sponsored Links