Registered Member

Plan: none
Stats: 10/10/10 Female 1
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by uhara
WOW! such terrific numbers! C
I want to know: did you get there just with following Bernstein's diet and exercise advice? How closely are you following, and for how long have you followed it?

I want numbers like that!

Uhara

I found out that I had diabetes 5-1/2 years ago, diagnosed as "Type 2". My HbA1c was 12.3, and my glucose on that day was 610.

I now believe that I was "aquiring" slow-onset Type 1 diabetes. I struggled mightily with OHC pills and diet for 3 years, fearing the insulin needle.

From the outset, I started a modified Dr. Atkins. I would allow myself carbs, based on my BG response.

A couple of years ago I stumbled across Dr. Bernstein's website, and bought his book (I'm an engineer also, so I could relate to his story) And the rest is history.

I got my endo to prescribe Lantus and Novolog , and have been following Dr. Bernstein ever since (contrary to my endo's advice, she ALWAYs tells me that I NEED at least 25g CHO at each meal, minimum 150 g/day)

The insulin saved my life. It actually gave me a life, to be more precise. For any of you out there struggling with diet and the pills, it might be time to save yours also.

I have never been overweight, though - and insulin can cause you to gain some, if you are not real careful. ( I gained 15 needed pounds )

There is nothing as liberating as have complete, instant control over your BG's. COMPLETE, INSTANT control!

As long as you follow a LC diet, life is easy on insulin. If my BG is higher than I like (I consider 120 high), I just shoot a unit or two of Novolog, and in a few minutes, it is back to normal. (75-95)

If it goes low (quite often) I just eat a roll of Smarties (6 g/roll, or abount 1/3 gram per candy), they are pure glucose.