View Single Post
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Aug-19-03, 08:18

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 240/205/145 Female 5' 9-1/2"
BF:
Progress: 37%

I am definitely a chocoholic! I didn't eat any chocolate during Induction, because Dr. A. said not to eat anything that was not on the list of allowable foods; two weeks is, after all, a short period of time. But once I hit OWL, I started working some chocolate into my diet. At first I would whip some heavy cream with unsweetened cocoa and sweetener, but I soon moved on to the hard stuff.

I tried a few of the LC chocolate bars on the market, but didn't think they were that great, plus I try to avoid the sugar alcohols, so I started making my own. There is a thread about making real chocolate in the Sweet Treats section, which was very helpful.

Anyway, I have found that, not only is it possible to make excellent chocolate myself, but that, knowing I can have a bit of something I really like now and then makes it easier to resist the sugar laden alternatives. But that's a YMMV topic. Some people fear that eating sweet things at all could send them off on a binge, so you need to make sure you can stop after eating a small amount of the stuff.

Dr. A. did say that, once Induction is over, you should add carbs in the form of the foods you really want. Admittedly, the best foods to add are veggies and nuts and the LC fruits, but his book does contain dessert recipes, some of them with chocolate. Some people are desperately seeking bread and pasta that doesn't taste like sawdust because that's what they miss, but I prefer chocolate!

Karla