#7   ^
Old Mon, Aug-18-03, 16:13

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabbyKay
I How many milligrams or I.U.'s of potassium should I take a day? Should I take them in the form of hard pills or softgels?
Hi Kay. While it's true that salts like potassium do get washed away when you LC, and when it's hot outside, it's less true that this supplement will help with leg cramping. That is more a sign of magnesium (and calcium) deficiency and less of a potassium shortage.

The following are recommended doses for all 3 supplements:

The general consensus is to supplement potassium with 400mg a day for the duration of fat loss. Supplementing once in maintenance may be necessary on very hot days or on days when intense exercise is likely. Potassium can be obtained in pill form or from numerous salt substitute such as "NuSalt" or "Morton's Light Salt", a potassium salt-substitite. 1/8th of a teaspoon of NuSalt provides over 500mg of potassium. You should always be well hydrated when taking potassium, and if you suffer from a heart condition or are on medication for blood pressure or a heart condition you should consult your doctor first before supplementing with potassium.

The RDA for Calcium is 1000-1500 depending on age and sex. It is 400-600 for magnesium, also dependant on age and sex. You can usually get both minerals in one supplement in a ratio of 2:1 (333mg calcium / 167 mg magnesium). Be sure that calcium comes in a chelated form (Citrate/Malate etc) - do not get calcium carbonate from oyster shells (it is less well absorbed). Take 2 or 3 the pills throughout the day (one with each of your meals) and save one for an hour before bed - magnesium haa a soothing effect and will help you sleep well, it will also take care of any night cramps.

HTH
-Nat