#5   ^
Old Mon, Aug-18-03, 10:45

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 198/161/145 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 70%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwyn
I know it seems weird to have 22 grams of carbs magically turn to 2. From what I understand, fiber is only part of the equation, and sucralose is the other part. Sucralose is real sugar, but engineered in such a fashion that its molecules are too big for the body break down and absorb. So instead they pass right through you. This is why these products give some people gas (and other such ailments).

And, different people react to sucralose differently, in that in some they can be stalling agents. I've not seen research on blood sugar spikes after ingesting sucralose, but it would not surprise me if this were true for some people.

I do agree with you that we should try to stay away from processed foods. I used to have the bars and shakes regularly, but now I only have them in a pinch.

-G.

p.s. I have not tried to make my own energy bar. But I do carry sunflower seeds with me. It's handy that you can buy them in small bags. I personally like the Planters brand the best; they are reliably not stale.

I wonder if you're confusing sucralose with sugar alchohols ? That's the ingredient that usually accounts for the big difference between gross and net carbs, not the sucralose.