Contributing Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 216/210/195 Male 5'9
BF:
Progress: 29%
Smile strength

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzemon
I'd like some suggestions on how to start on a basic strength training program. I don't and can't afford to belong to a gym, but do have some small weights at home and would also consider purchasing a few more. Do those of you that weight train do primarily arms and chest? I figure my cardio (walking, running, step aerobics) will help me burn fat too but would like the strength training boost others have mentioned. Thanks!

The best strength training exercises are called "compound" exercises. These exercises jolt the body into growing faster than other exercises. There are several ways to approach training. Most women fear lifting weights as they believe they'll bulk up and look funny. This actually takes more work than you think and the weight involved is normally very heavy.

You can still be strong and fit without looking like arnold swarzinegger's twin sister.. lol. Since you don't have access to a gym, you'll proably want to do something closer to home. Like pilates or tai bo. These will work your aerobic side and give you strength. You can also try isometric exercises. This requires NO weight, only resistance. ((Feel free to look these up online.))

Good luck!