Old Sat, Aug-16-03, 22:02
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 235/193/150 Male 5' 7"
BF:BMI 36.8/32/23.5
Progress: 49%
Default People's experience differs on the fat fast

Dear 94513,

If you haven't read through the thread in this subforum titled "Oil Fast," you should do so. There are two pretty thoroughly chronicled fat fasts in that thread -- one by timco (who started the thread), and one by me (who came in later and reported day by day my experience with it). Don't be put off by the label "oil fast." Timco wanted to try using oil, and I did part oil, part creme cheese, mostly for the sake of convenience. No muss, no fuss. Two hundred calories consumed within a minute, and no cooking or dishes

LadyBelle says the fat fast stinks in a bag for her. Reading around the forums, I find her report is not uncommon. On the other hand, others (such as timco and I) have not only had no problems, we have continued exercising pretty vigorously during the fat fast with no bad feelings or consequences.

So, it looks like you're not really going to know how it will work for you unless you try it. Don't sweat the kind of fat -- any kind of fat will work (butter, oil, shortening [yuk!], macadamia nuts, whatever). The only thing to watch out for is that 85-90 percent of your total calories come from fat, and the total calories do not exceed 1,000 per day during the fast. I lost eight pounds in the week I did it, and I'm hanging in there two weeks later (no futher weight loss, yet; but no gaining back either).

My experience was the same as yours -- rapid weight loss in the first week to ten days, then nada for the next six weeks. So, I did the fat fast. I'm glad I did; and, I'll likely do it again before I reach my goal.

If you try it, please keep careful notes on what happened, how you feel, what the results were, and post them in the forum. It will help a lot of other people when they're trying to figure out whether or not to give it a go.

Homesar