View Single Post
  #1   ^
Old Fri, Aug-15-03, 22:42

Plan: PP
Stats: 183/165/145 Female 5'6
BF:41/39/20's
Progress: 47%
Default I need some feedback...

I am a new member and what a relief to find such a support group. I am the only diabetic I know at age 34. I want to give a brief history and then get some feedback from others.

First a brief bio:

I am female, born in September 1968. I am married with a son, age 4 and daughter, age 4 months. I live in Northern California and may have been a diabetic for 4+ years. I am currently 50+ pounds overwieght. I take 2.5mg Gliburide a day and have just started back on an excercise routine after baby. I am still nursing and have not started the Atkins Plan. I found this site looking for low carb desserts but I am truely inspired to get started, although I may not be able to for as long as 8 more months. Unfortunately this medication has caused me to gain about 12 pounds since giving birth which puts me 20 pounds over my prepregnancy wieght. (ugh)

Secondly a medical history:

1988 dianosed with pancreatitus (age 20), reason unknown
1998 pregnant and diagnosed with gestational diebetes (gd), controlled by ob with diet (allegedly); result 10lb 6 oz baby with broken collar bone and moderate jaundice. Dr said chances were less that 5 % that I would have diabetes when I got through.
2000 lost a baby with congenital heart defect.
2001 diagnosed with diabetes, gallbladder removed and skin melanoma removed. Started to get serious about my health, with 500mg glucophage xr twice a day, regular WW type diet and exercise I lost thirty pounds, brought my Ha1c from 8.2 to 6.4 and my cho down from 280 to 200. All other blood work close to normal range. I got the okay to get pregnant again.
2002 Pregnant with a healthy baby! My endo in Ca, Dr Kitzmiller had me on a very strictly controlled diet and bg levels (fasting<90, one hour post meals <129). As a result I had a beautiful baby girl in 2003.
2003 My attention turns now to my health, my pancreas, my wieght, and my blood glucose levels. I have been able to lessen my meds since I started walking again, but I find the wieght gain troubling. My fasting has been inthe under 110 range and after meals any where from 90's to 170's. I do tend to be hypoglycemic before lunch or late afternoon. Because I am nursing I still follow a basic WW diet with about 9-10 carbs a day.
I want feedback because right now I feel like an island. Eventually I want to get off the meds hopefully following this WOE, lose the 50+ and maybe so a triathalon.
Thanks for reading, Rosie
Sponsored Links