View Single Post
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Aug-15-03, 18:00
Registered Member

Plan: Redbook Magazine
Stats: 166/144/140 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 85%

Thank you all for taking the time to write--differing opinions is what makes things interesting!

Evolution is what has reclassified obesity. Instead of storing fat in our bodies like early man did for winter, we store our food in the refrigerator which probably has a slight space advantage LOL and, alas, is not seasonal. However, you are right in one thing--we still store fat in our bodies as a "leftover" from prior times. Obesity like the word "norm" has really become defined in narrow terms. People who store fat probably have an efficient metabolism. It's our definition of beauty that has become so radically different and that is probably in the last 50 years, not 10,000.

The reason our bodies store fat is the same reason you all are so sure we are meant to be meateaters. Whatever did we do in the winter other than make babies? However, we ate and we stored the fat during the months we could--we ate a lot during the spring/summer/fall seasons.

Bears are omnivores, I wonder what they did in the winter? While I don't think we hibernated, we probably scavenged on meat AND the uncovered vegetation. The very reason our bodies are made the way they are is for the harsher times. (By the way not all of us had to experience "winter".) If this reason is valid, then other "carbon-based units" would have also evolved to eat meat. I don't know of any caribou or elk or deer that are meat-eaters, do you?

As for brains (because we ate meat of course)--if eating meat was the only basis for the evolution of our brains, then lions, tigers and other carnivores should be much smarter than we are. Are we also saying that for the last 10,000 years we have lost our edge (in brains) because we are now eating grains? I think not. I am still amazed at what ideas people are coming up with and the interesting and awesome writing I am witnessing in this forum.

As for who we are descendants of -- I'm not sure and there are differing opinions (Neanderthal and Cro-Magnon). Lucy or whoever or apes (chimps have 99% of our DNA)! How would a gorilla look on the Atkins diet? No more pot belly which is necessary to digest their fruit/vegetation diet. He'd be a hunk, LOL.

However, unclear as it was, the main point of my post was that we should not base a good thing on a possibly bad foundation. Then if that foundation crumbles, so does the good that came with it.

Take care all,

Jeanne48