View Single Post
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Aug-15-03, 11:12
Registered Member

Plan: my own
Stats: 153/146/120 Female 5'2
BF:
Progress: 21%

My whole family is lc'ing and there are times when my 12 year is QUITE vocal about how there's 'nothing' in the house to eat and how he misses this or that. But, it comes down to something I had to face: I gave him the very eating habits I'm now telling him are wrong for him. So, it's up to me to change them and since I cook and shop, his choices are (as usual) relegated to what's available. Some days are easier than others but when I saw that being 'flexible' and allowing just a 'little' of something caused him to expect it regularly or to negotiate (if I eat this, can I have that?) I realized facing the hard part all the way through - for however long - was better than flip-flopping. As The Mom you decide how your family eats. If you feel like you're doing a bad thing by not buying their usual snacks, you may not have fully committed to this as a 'family' WOE. That's FINE if that's what you decide but, honestly, sometimes our kids are demanding or picky because we allow it. I know I'm guilty of that.

I love some of the suggestions, particularly fixing a carb side dish. I eventually changed the side dish to either a second vegetable or something high in fiber like lentils to get them away from the usual rice, potatoes or pasta. Now we don't eat any of those things and don't miss it on the plate.

Parenting isn't the easiest job and I'm sure you'll do the perfect thing for your boys.