View Single Post
  #1   ^
Old Fri, Aug-15-03, 03:50

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/152/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 110%
Default The Scales - Friend or Foe ???

I've been pondering my relationship with the scales – is it my friend or is it the 'enemy' ????

I know all the arguments about the fact that the scales don't show the true picture – that measurements are far more important, as well as how we 'feel'. I've read that great article Why the Scales Lie many times.

I know that for many, the scales can become an unhealthy obsession, and can cause a great deal of stress and upset.

I know that if we are going to weigh, then it's best to do it once or week, or even better, once a month – that if we do weigh everyday we should average out the weight fluctuations that occur during the week.

BUT …

I just can't stop myself, I still do it.

I don't mean to weigh myself every day – but I usually do – though it is really only on one particular day of the week that I officially count and the loss/gain/whatever.

I don't usually get upset with what I see – though if I don't show a loss for a couple of weeks I do get a bit panicky and think that maybe, just maybe, it isn't working for me any more! - which is incredibly silly, especially as I know that there is a particular pattern (usually) to my weight loss – a loss for two weeks, then I stay the same for two weeks and so on.

However, I do feel that it keeps me 'on my toes' – a couple of months ago I joined a 'No Scales' challenge – it wasn't as bad as I thought. But, one thing I did notice – I became a bit complacent with my eating – and can only conclude that this was because I didn't have the discipline of the scales to keep me in line!

So, I'm interested to know – is the scales your friend or foe? What's your relationship with the scales? Do you or don't you weigh every day?? Or do you prefer the tape measure and the mirror to reflect the progress you are making??
Sponsored Links