#6   ^
Old Wed, Aug-13-03, 19:25

Plan: atkins
Stats: 150/152/125 Female 65
BF:???
Progress: -8%
Default Arms

Ping-

I am a swimmer and I have "ok" arms... here's how I try and work them. FIrst of all, you would be better of doing biceps and triceps on the SAME day, then taking a day (or two) off to recover. Each can only work as hard as the other because they are opposing muscles (the same goes for abs/low back, and quads/hammys).

First of all, i would grab a variety of dumbells rangin from 5-20 lbs. I do one of two workouts depending on whether I am in the middle of swim season or not. THey are both great for building muscle.

The first one:

I do 12 reps each of front, side, and back raise (back fly's done bent over at the waist). I do 12 reps of each of these three things, then IMMEDIATELY REPEAT. Then, I grab a slightly heavier pair of dumbells, and do 10 reps of each exercise, and repeat. Finally, i use an even heavier set and do 8 reps of each exercise. I do these all at an even pace, but fast enough that my heart rate is up. I would look at bodyforlife.com for visuals on appropriate technique. Using free weights in this way causes your body to use small "fine" musculature to balance the weights, and it is these "fine" muscles that add real definition. This little set of exercises is one i do 3 times a week during swim season. I get asked everytime I wear a halter top if I work out... so it must work!

However, when I am not in season, and I am trying to build up strength more, I do a modification of the lifting in body for life. I do 12 reps, 10 reps, 8 reps, of successively higher weights, then do 12 of my starting weight and go straight into 12 reps of a different exercise aimed at the same muscle group. Lifting in this way, and taking days off in between workouts has been much more effective for me then other methods I've tried over the years. Again, form is everything, so I would check out a good website with proper form so you can visualize what you are doing. I also try and choose the dumb bell exercises over those with barbells or machines because i personally feel it helps more with definition and developing core muscles.

Also, great tricks for toning upper arms: jumping rope, dips, pull-ups, and push ups are all great, and can all be modified for beginners. Cardio is what is going to take off the fat (and, i guess increased BMR with increase in muscle mass) and when the fat is gone your muscles will REALLY show.