#13   ^
Old Wed, Aug-13-03, 12:48
100% pork rind free

Plan: Atkins-ish
Stats: 215/182.5/180 Female 5 ' 10 1/2"
BF:
Progress: 93%

Hi Kitten,
First off, sorry that I told you a bunch of stuff that you already knew. Thank you for responding so tactfullly.

If your doctor told you not to gain at all, then I think your reasoning (essentially you lost weight) is correct. I've just never heard of that before. I can't imagine not gaining while pregnant. Is such a thing possible??

Certainly your diet now is healthier than the high-carb one you described. And yes, the baby takes what it needs first. My doctor told me that if I didn't consume enough calcium the baby would pull it from my bones and teeth. Your body is very efficient at getting the baby what it needs, even if you end up worse off afterward.

The point about the Eskimo/Inuit women is a valid one. I don't know enough to really comment on that, but it's intriguing.

There have got to be Atkins-friendly physicians out there who could answer your question. I know that LC eating is not popular with the medical community at large, but Dr. Atkins couldn't have been its only champion. Good luck and let us know what you find out!