View Single Post
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Aug-13-03, 12:10
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/190/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 50%

Ketones per se aren't harmful to a growing fetus; in fact ketone production is greatly increased during pregnancy to support the rapid growth of the fetus and placenta even when the mother is consuming a high-carb diet. Rapidly growing muscle cells use ketones preferentially for energy. And if you stop to think about it, Inuit women .. and other cultures where the traditional diet is minimal carbs .. have been having healthy babies for eons.

The problem with mom eating an intentionally ketogenic diet is that ketosis is notorious for appetite suppression .. and as a previous poster stated, you need to keep your calories up --- well above your own metabolic threshold (ie, starvation mode). Plus (not that I wish this to happen to anybody) morning sickness can lead to hypoglycemia that would be compounded by ketosis, which isn't a good thing for mother OR baby.

There's no need to eat 60% carbs like the food pyramid gang pushes ... but certainly maintenance level around 80g a day give or take should keep baby healthy, and prevent excessive weight gain for you.

Just a note about ketosis and breastfeeding ... although I've read that some women resume strict low-carbing soon after delivery, I've also seen where some women found that baby rejected their milk because ketones changed the taste.

Doreen