#6   ^
Old Wed, Aug-13-03, 10:24

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 320/220/195 Male 6'0"
BF:
Progress: 80%

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleAnne
Dr Atkins’ regime is loaded with saturated fat (as in meat, eggs and cheese) so can increase the risk of heart attacks and gallstones.

For starters, this has been disproven by study after study. Second, the specific Saturated Fat in Beef (Stearic Acid) has been shown in studies to have little to no negative effect on Blood Cholesterol. On top of that, Beef fat [and most other meat-based fats] are about half Monounsaturated. Monounsaturated Fats have been shown in numerous studies to lower LDL (Bad Cholesterol) and raise HDL (Good Cholesterol). Beef [and other meats] raise HDL (Good Cholesterol) which protects you from Heart Disease. In addition, a diet low in grains tends to lower Triglycerides which is another indicator of heart disease. Commonly ignored is that Triglycerides soar when a person eats lots of Grains and Ployunsaturates [as they would on a LF/HC diet.] As for eggs, she needs to check her info...Eggs, are low in Saturated Fat and high in Unsaturates which improve your Cholesterol. Most LFers begrudgingly admit this, but qualify it with "but, 1 egg has your whole day's worth of Cholesterol." They seem ignorant of the fact, NOT ONE, not even a single study has ever shown a direct link between Dietary and Blood Cholesterol. Even LF advocates begrudgingly admit that they aren't "sure exactly how" Dietary Cholesterol effects Blood Cholesterol [if at all.]

Quote:
It is very short on fibre, too — no wonder followers get constipated.

WRONG !!! Pre-Atkins [when I ate 500g carbs/day,] I would go days w.o sitting down (shitting). Since going on Atkins, I go several times a day. I eat plenty of fiber [even on Atkins.] But, when I was LFing, the fiber didn't seem to help.

Quote:
Even in the short term, eating a lot of fat without carbohydrates leads to a potentially serious condition, ketosis — the body produces excess chemicals called ketones.

There are two approaches to LCing: A Ketogenic State or Reduced Calorie intake through Satiation. Atkins choses the Ketogenic State. Ketosis is a natural state. In fact, your body ONLY BURNS FAT WHEN IN KETOSIS. Your body has two main states: Glucosis (Carbs --> Glucose --> Fat/Energy) and Ketosis (Fat --> Ketones --> Energy) There is an intermediate state known as Glucogenesis (Protein --> Glucose --> Energy). When your body begins the switch from Carb to Fat Burning, it may enter Glucogensis. At this stage it will look for Protein in order to create Glucose (Carbs) [because it hasn't switched to Ketosis yet.] If you are not consuming adaquete protein, it will canabalize your lean muscles. A person properly following Atkins should go through Glucogenesis only once and have sufficient Dietary Protein to prevent muscle loss. But, a person of a LF/HC diet will go in and out of Ketosis [frequently,] and will go through Glucogenesis many times...Without adaquete Protein [and only a small caloric deficit] they will burn mostly muscle. The plain and simple is that in order to burn fat, YOU MUST BE IN KETOSIS. LFers will never admit it, but when they eat Low-Calorie, the body eventually runs out of carbs, and switches to Ketosis (FAT BURNING) and may pass through Glucogenesis (Protein --> Glucose), resulting in muscle loss. A person on a LF Diet will go in and out of Fat and Muscle Burning states frequently. A person on Atkins, should remain in a Fat Burning state. No bouncing in between Glucosis, Glucogensis, and Ketosis.

Quote:
This makes your breath reek of nail varnish remover

As opposed to Glucosis which makes you the size of a house ??? I know which I would chose.

Quote:
Atkins thought this was a good idea because nausea and vomiting might make you less hungry, but I doubt many other medics would agree with him.

BULLSHIT !!! Pre-Atkins I had constant heartburn. You know what I did to try to stop it ??? Drank Pepsi. I would drink a Pepsi every time I got heartburn. Eventually, 1/2 my daily carbs would come from Pepsi Colas, which I drank to try to stop the burning/nausea caused by eating too much starch. Since going on Atkins, I haven't had heartburn/nausea [except once when I ate some potatoes] and do not drink as much Diet Soda as I used to drink Pepsi, because I no longer have a fire in my throat.

Quote:
Ketosis also occurs in starvation, so in this sense his diet is just a fancy way to starve yourself thin.

She is partly correct. Ketosis (Fat Burning) occurs whenever your body runs out of carbs. This can occur by either eating plenty of Fat and Protein, but eating low-carb or when you eat so little food (Low-Calorie dieting) that you run out of carbs. They still don't get it...Ketosis is a natural state. You have to be in Ketosis to burn fat. You CANNOT lose fat without entering Ketosis. Atkins achieves Ketosis by cutting carbs. Low-Calorie diets achieve it by cutting everything (calories) and inducing starvation.

Quote:
Eating large amounts of protein raises levels of uric acid, a chemical that can trigger gout and cause kidney stones.

She forgot the second half of the sentence: "IN THOSE WITH EXISTING KIDNEY DISEASE." A healthy kidney/gallbladder has no problem handling extra protein. It is only when those organs have been left unused for years or damaged due to Diabetes [or other carb inuced condition,] that they are weakened to a point where protein can strain them.

Quote:
You would lose weight with Atkins, because overall your calorie intake drops.

Three years ago [when I started really piling the pounds back on,] I was eating exactly what was listed as "maintnance calories" for a person of my size [w. minimal physical activity.] By the time I started Atkins, my [average daily] caloric intake was 1,500 kcal/day below "maintnance calories" for my size [w. minimal physical activity,] yet I was still gaining, albeit at 1/3 the prior rate. My calories have since dropped, but [based on my change in size] are still 1,500 kcal/day below "maintnance calories." How is it that if calories are all that count, I gained 100 pounds in 3 years while in a "caloric deficit" ? But, that I lost 10 pounds/month with a similar "caloric deficit" ? The only difference was my levels of carbs and fat.

Quote:
After all, Dr Atkins is no longer around for a head-to-head debate.

He had a heart attack in 2002 and died this year after a fall.

I aim to stay healthier than he did — so I’m off to enjoy my favourite pasta.

His "heart attack" was caused by an infection. His fall was caused by an icy sidewalk. Alot of people slip and die on icy sidewalks every year...It just isn't as well televised as more violent, less frequent causes of death (stray bullets, shark attack, lightning strike, etc...) Her insuitation [that Dr. Atkins was unhealthy] was uncalled for and blatantly wrong. Until he died, Dr. Atkins looked very good for his age.