View Single Post
  #1   ^
Old Wed, Aug-13-03, 04:42

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/152/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 110%
Default 'It is not going to kill us'

How refreshing to see another point of view in one of the papers who are slagging off Atkins in the UK today:

By Ellen Connolly
The Times - London - 13 August, 2003

IAN BROWN, 55, has tried the calorie-controlled diet, the low cholesterol diet, the high-carb diet. None worked, until Atkins.
He lost 9kg (20lb) over four months, and has kept it off. Additionally, his asthma has improved and, according to his wife, he snores less.

“I think there’s a lot of logic to what Atkins said,” Mr Brown, an accountant from Surrey, said. “I didn’t do the crash Atkins diet. I decided I wouldn’t give up alcohol completely, but avoided heavy carbs like bread and pasta.

“This is the one that suits me because I like my meat, eggs and cheese, all the things that I’m allowed. With all the other diets I’d put the weight straight back on as soon as I went off it.”

He found it hard to believe that the diet was bad for him. “There are so many studies giving conflicting opinions.”

Michael Wilson is 12 days into the Atkins diet and says he feels healthier already. His clothes are looser, he gets to eat bacon and eggs for breakfast and he has even taken a liking to decaffeinated coffee.

Mr Wilson, business editor at Sky News, said: “I’ve heard all the health stuff. I honestly don’t care. We’re all grown-ups. It’s not going to kill us and I actually think it’s got a lot of sense to it.”

He said there was a misconception that the Atkins diet was all about fried food and more fried food. “You’re allowed to have plenty of salad and I have quite a healthy lifestyle anyway. I run three times a week.”

The downsides? “A mild headache on day two from caffeine withdrawal, but I’ve now become quite turned on by decaffeinated coffee. Don’t tell anyone. And I felt a little wearier during my run, but that’s it.”

He hopes to ease off the diet on the weekend but will maintain a low carbohydrate diet.
Sponsored Links