View Single Post
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Aug-11-03, 12:19
Ex-Patriot

Plan: CAD-ish
Stats: 232.5/199/168 Female 5'2"
BF:no/earthly/clue
Progress: 52%

Steve, if it works for you then you don't need to worry. If you eventually stop losing, then you might want to check the calorie count of the booze you're consuming, and make some adjustments accordingly. But in general, if it ain't broke....

I've never seen a reference to "alcohol carbs." If someone could point me to such a reference I would be most grateful.

I'd thought that the whole point of drinking spirits on LC rather than beer or wine was to minimize the carbs. Alcohol (EtOH) DOES hijack the liver, causing that organ to burn the EtOH in preference to bodyfat until the EtOH is totally cleared from the body, which happens at the rate of approximately 1 US standard drink per hour (about 1.8 UK units). Drinking does not mean that you will completely stall, because your muscles and some other organs will continue to burn bodyfat...but it does mean that your rate of burn will drop to 50% or less of what it is when you're sober.

The more important thing to consider when drinking on a weight loss diet is that even while the alcohol is being burnt by your liver, the fat cells keep releasing fat for burning at the same rate, which leads to a build up of free fatty acids in the bloodstream. Normally, extra FFA's are burnt up by the liver, but when there is EtOH in the system it totally disables the liver's ability to burn off that fat, and all it can do is put the incoming bodyfat aside to deal with later after the booze is gone. If you drink a lot while in a fat-burning mode, you are risking a big buildup of fat in your liver, and that is not a healthy condition. Fortunately, even a couple of days of abstinence per week can help your liver catch up with the workload.

I love to drink. I couldn't give up booze even on Induction. I've discovered that on this diet, I basically have two choices with booze. I can drink a little every day without problems, OR I can choose to go heavy, but to take 2 or 3 days every week to allow my body to clean up the mess, as it were. If I go heavy but don't allow the catch-up time, I don't feel very well.

YMMV though. Metabolism is so individual.

Emily