Default Lemon Torte

Level One
Pro/Fat
Serves: 8

4 egg whites
1-teaspoon vanilla

¼ teaspoon cream of tartar
¼ teaspoon salt
1 1/3 cups sugar equivalent (I used 4 TBSP SugarNot)
4 egg yolks
2 teaspoons finely shredded lemon peel
3 Tablespoons lemon juice
½ cup sugar equivalent
Dash salt
1 cup whipping cream

Preheat oven to 450 degrees. In a large mixer bowl beat egg whites, vanilla, cream of tartar, and the ¼ teaspoon salt at medium speed of electric mixer till soft peaks form. Gradually add the 1 1/3 cups sugar equivalent, about a Tablespoon at a time, beating at high speed about 12 minutes or till very stiff peaks form. Spread beaten egg whites in the bottom of a well-buttered 9-inch pie plate. Place in pre-heated oven, immediately turn heat off. Let stand in oven with door closed for 5 hours or overnight. Do not open oven door.

For lemon filling, in a small mixer bowl beat egg yolks about 5 minutes or till thick and lemon colored. Transfer to a small, heavy saucepan. Stir in lemon peel, lemon juice, the ½ cup sugar equivalent, and dash salt. Cook and stir over low heat about 12 minutes or till thickened and bubbly. Remove from heat; cover. Cool without stirring.

To assemble torte, whip cream just to soft peaks. (I added 1 tsp. Slimsweet and ½ tsp vanilla to the whipping cream.) Spread a little less than half of the whipped cream in the bottom of the baked torte shell. Top with cooled lemon filling, then with remaining whipped cream to cover entire shell. Chill 5 hours or overnight. Cut into wedges, using a wet knife.

I found this recipe in my Better Homes & Gardens Cookbook also. It describes this torte as: "A fancy dessert to climax that special dinner--". The only change I made was the substitution for sugar.