#6   ^
Old Sun, Aug-10-03, 13:37

Plan: Atkins - Maintenance
Stats: 185/150/150 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarah1976
I was not a big meat eater before Atkins...and I am finding it hard to stomach it some days....

Low carbing, in particular the Atkins plan, was made for people like me. Naturally, I don't expect there are many who are like me with the retro carnivorous barbaric tastes easily satisfied with just a huge plate of meat. LOL However, variety is important, even to a person such as myself who predominantly prefers meats. Most of the people I know around me would never be able to just have a large ole piece of meat and nothing else for dinner. For me, there are days where the only place I wanna dine is a steak house, where I order a huge 32 ounch Porterhouse cut seared to a perfect medium rare resting on a plate of sizzling butter, and skipping the soup, salad, veggies, or any other side dishes to save my stomach for the beef. Actually, I do that once per week.

Quote:
I also get highly frustrated regarding eating out, some days/nights it practical for me to eat out (work/family outings etc) I know people here often suggest "i take a bag of macadamia's with me when i am out for when i feel hungry"...well yeah, although I think this is a great idea, sometimes "a bag of nuts" isn't enough for the situation! and there are hardly any places (without going to some fancy ass restaurant) that has much to offer in the way of low carb (and I am not paying for a pizza and just eating the topping or buying a burger and eating just the burger..i am still hungry after just that so there is no point)....

I couldn't agree with you more here. I too find it exasperatingly difficult especially during Induction and OWL to stay within the parameters of low carbing during social dinners, family functions, or simply dining with friends. I've never been comfortable with bringing my own food to any occasion, whether it's theatre, restaurant, or gathering at someone's home. I find it rude and impolite insisting and refusing to try a special dish which a friend or acquaintance had spent the better part of the day preparing; and, find it obnoxious in the extreme to bring my own special food while everyone else is eating what's served. I'm not criticizing those who do, but merely stipulating my own personal views on finding the practice crass and distasteful. Ordering pizzas and just eating the top, or ordering burgers with no bread are just not things I'm ever going to do. LOL I guess, we all have our respective idiosyncracies.
[/QUOTE]

Quote:
My reasoning for switching to low fat was because if i go low carb except for adding in some high carb foods then essentially I won't be doing Atkins and therefore I probably wont lose weight because my carb count will be too high!????

I don't necessarily think you have to be doing Atkins in order to succeed in eating with a low carb regimen. Seriously, by all standards, going below 100 carbs is considered "low carb." For most of the world, the 20 carbs of Induction limit is far too drastic of a measure to ever contemplate, let alone trying to adhere to. In my view, you don't appear to have too much weight to lose; and, your natural palate preference isn't purely carnivorous--like mine--which means you're more of an omnivore than anything else. I think it's pretty easy to enjoy in moderation with all the foods your craving and still be at or roughly around 100 carbs/day, which would easily qualify as low carb. Just don't go berzerk gorging on 400 grams of carbs, or something equally foolhardy. Moderation is the key, in my view.

Regards,

Frederick