View Single Post
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Aug-10-03, 12:54

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:
When I begin to describe the diet, they sometimes say, "Oh, that sounds like ATKINS!" I say, "No, it's nothing like Atkins. It's designed especially for diabetics." That seems to be good enough for them and they'll continue listening.

Actually, Bernstein is more restrictive than Atkins in the OWL phase (no fruit permitted!).

Dr. Bernstein does have in his book (pg 325-326) a letter that can be sent to your doctor/hospital when you have elective surgery or a hospital stay planned and know in advance that you will be there. In the letter, he suggests that you request a "normal" diet instead of a diabetic one so that you can more easily select choices that will work with your chosen plan as well as a request that you not be given IV fluids that contain glucose or have your diabetic supplies taken from you by hospital staff. He also suggests that you cc (copy) the hospital administrator and a relative or close friend (or I'd even suggest your lawyer if you anticipate problems with cooperation) and note that at the bottom of your letter.
When we are outside the hospital, we are responsible for maintaining our blood sugars. That should not change or be hindered simply because we are admitted to an institution of healing.