View Single Post
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Aug-08-03, 22:42

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 338/334/175 Female 5' 9.5"
BF:
Progress: 2%
Thumbs up New Balance all the way

I went to a shoe store (a real shoe store, not a department in Sears or Penney's) and had my feet measured. Important first step (pardon the pun!). A sporting goods store is also a good place to go. Just be sure to get a salesperson who knows what he/she is doing, not some teenager part-timing it after school or for summer pocket change.

My salesman told me that there were two brands of walking shoe he'd recommend, one of which was New Balance. I forget what the other one was, but I do remember it was more expensive. Anyway, he told me that they were the only two on the market that were specifically designed to accept a podiatric insert if one was required, and at the time I was having intermittent pains in my right heel that I thought might be bone spurs. He said if the shoes didn't help the problem I should see a podiatrist and look into getting the inserts.

Well, I bought the shoes (around $60) and NO MORE HEEL PAIN from then on in! I actually got a pair of men's size 10 1/2 because I take a size 12M in women's and they were out of that size. Fit perfectly!

I've since bought a second pair of the same style in a women's 12M, and frankly I think I get better support from the men's. I alternate the pairs because you don't want to wear the same pair two days in a row -- the leather needs time to completely dry.

Bottom line: I can't recommend a better walking shoe than New Balance, and they're also quite reasonably priced. Go to zappos.com and you can get free shipping, pay no sales tax AND be sure of getting the size you need. I've bought dozens of pairs of shoes at zappos.com and am extremely pleased with their service. They even pay for returns!

BTW, for dressy shoes, I recommend Portanias. They're hard to find, particularly if you have a large foot like me, but online you can get them and they're sheer heaven. Incredibly comfortable! About $100 a pair and worth every cent.

For casuals, I like Clarks. I own at least a dozen pair.

Hope this helps!

Gina