View Single Post
  #1   ^
Old Thu, Aug-07-03, 23:13

Plan: South/Atkins/Ornish/etc.
Stats: 275/260/190 Male 5'10"
BF:lbs&in. first, ok?
Progress: 18%
Default Spinach Salad with Raspberry Cognac Vinegar Dressing

The actual salad is extremely simple, but the dressing is something of a production number. I don't make this as often as I'd like because it takes a bit of effort. The raspberry vinegar is adapted from a Michel Roux recipe in his book "Sauces". If you're not feeling like taking a couple of days to make salad dressing, a storebought raspberry vinegar will work just fine here.

I'm not sure that the carb counts from MasterCook are accurate; it counts the entire amount of raspberries in the vinegar, when in fact they are just macerated and then discarded. (Although I want to try using the leftover mash sometime as the base for a pork roast stuffing... the finished vinegar would be excellent to deglaze the pan with too!) So I'd be willing to think that the actual carb count for this dish is actually a whole lot lower than shown.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Spinach Salad

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1 head spinach leaves -- washed
4 ounces gorgonzola cheese -- crumbled
1/4 cup slivered almonds -- toasted
8 tablespoons Raspberry Cognac Vinegar

Thoroughly wash and chop spinach leaves

Toss with remaining ingredients

Serve immediately

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 208 Calories; 14g Fat (63.2% calories from fat); 8g Protein; 10g Carbohydrate; 4g Dietary Fiber; 25mg Cholesterol; 406mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 1 Lean Meat; 0 Vegetable; 1/2 Fruit; 2 Fat; 1/2 Other Carbohydrates.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Raspberry Cognac Vinegar

Recipe By :Michel Roux
Serving Size : 32 Preparation Time :1:30
Categories : Sauces Seasonings

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
3 1/2 pounds fresh raspberries
5 cups white wine vinegar
2/3 cup sugar substitute
1 cup cognac

Place half the fruit and vinegar in a glass bowl. Cover with dish towel and leave in a cool place 24 hours.

Press juice through a fine mesh strainer, being sure not to allow any seeds or pulp through.

Add remaining fruit to the extracted liquid and cover as before, for an additional 24 hours.

Strain fruit as before.

Place the extracted liquid, sugar and cognac in a double boiler. Bring to a boil, then lower heat and gently simmer at 195 for one hour.

Cool in a glass container.

Store up to six months.

Source:
"Sauces"
Yield:
"4 cups"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 53 Calories; trace Fat (6.8% calories from fat); trace Protein; 7g Carbohydrate; 3g Dietary Fiber; 0mg Cholesterol; 8mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1/2 Fruit; 1/2 Other Carbohydrates.
Sponsored Links