#6   ^
Old Thu, Aug-07-03, 06:11

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddi
I was thinking about lifting weights again but I heard someone say that I won't make any muscle gains on the atkins because of the low carb diet eats muscle as well as fat. any info on this subject?
Definitely check out the exercise forum - you'll find many of us are lifting the heavy weights.

Just to set your mind straight - LC is very muscle sparing, assuming you're eating adequate calories from fat and sufficient protein to maintain a positive nitrogen balance (I would say at least .7g of protein per lb of lean body mass). Studies show that those doing LC lose more fat and less lean mass than people following a low fat / restricted calorie diet.

Using the correct supplements will definitely make a huge difference, as Piera mentioned. Also, easing into intense exercise when you being a LC WOE is recommended. If you're alreayd lifting heavy and intense you might notice a drop in energy and strength at first, but as your body switches to fat burning and becomes more adept at it that will become less noticeable (although it's always there to some extent because glycogen levels are low when LCing)

Cheers,
Nat