#5   ^
Old Wed, Aug-06-03, 23:18
Registered Member

Plan: Carb Addicts & WW
Stats: 150/127/132
BF:
Progress: 128%

Jessa Lynn,

I think you want to be on the low end when it comes to TSH interpretations. It gets kind of confusing reading the TSH levels and correlating them to thyroid functioning. Higher TSH levels indicate a slower thyroid gland, and vice versa. That's because the more TSH [thyroid stimulating hormone] present in your body, the more your pituitary has to try and speed up your slow thyroid gland. So, if your TSH is low then that suggests that your thyroid is working more.

There is a BMJ article stating any TSH higher than a 2.0 indicates slow thyroid. You can find the citation and link to this article at my site, http://diagnosis.4t.com. I was a 2.8 before starting meds, I am now routinely under a 1.0. This is when I feel my best.

There are different interpretations on TSH - most recently, the newly accepted ranges are 0.3 - 3.0. You can find the citation for this at my site, too. Many doctors rely on TSH without regard to other tests, body temperature, and symptoms. The best gauge, according to many doctors [mine, Dr. Lowe, Dr. Broda Bharnes, Dr. Wilson - citations all at my site] is body temperature. If you routinely clock in at below 98.0, many doctor's believe this is sufficient to diagnose you as hypothyroid.

There is a page on my site that breaks down some more of the tests available, and the problems with relying on TSH tests. For instance, TSH isn't necessarily reliable because it isn't testing your thyroid but your pituitary. There are many other ways for your thyroid's hormones to not get absorbed into your body other than the thyroid gland be producing too little [higher amounts of binding proteins present in your body, for instance if you are on the pill].

By the way - I was misdiagnosed as depressed right before I finally found a doctor that diagnosed me with hypothyroidism. The more people I chat with, the more it seems that that is the last straw before finally finding a doctor that really knows thyroid issues!

Good luck,
Margie