View Single Post
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Aug-06-03, 22:04

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 232/195/178 Male 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 69%
Default Gout? me too

I've been on a LC diet for about 6 months when I started to get pain in my foot. Took a day or 2 to sort it out, but the correct diagnosis is gout with a normal uric acid levels. Pretty common.
You can check out the gout web sites (I have already). The ones from the academic centers make it pretty clear that most uric acid is not dervied from diet, but from your own metabolic composition.
I don't want to get too scientific, but dispite all the stories, gout has nothing to do with either too much protein, or too much red wine, or too much high living. What is does have to do with a family (genetic) predisposition and an increased metabolic rate that is associated with among other things, a successful weight loss program.
I first thought that I would go the alternate medicine route, but after hobbling with a cane for a week, I finally went to NSAIDS and Allopurinol, and the symptoms have settled down.
I am still on the LC diet.
The hard part was sorting out that I was going to have to change my exercise routine, and have switched to swimming for the summer.

Hope that helps.