#2   ^
Old Wed, Aug-06-03, 15:45

Plan: Zone
Stats: 151/129/128 Female 5'4"
BF:17.5%
Progress: 96%

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantEven
I was just going through Mastering The Zone and read about exercising for longer periods of time at a lower heart rate (below 70%). I currently circuit train (Curves) for 30 minutes 5x a week and then walk the treadmill for an hour (between 2.5 - 3.0m/h) 5x a week. I've actually gained so much weight last year that I had to work my way to this point - however, I won't complain since it is in the right direction. I also do yoga once a week.

Too much training at once (over 45-60 minutes) can be counter productive to your goals. If you can split the time into 2X per day instead of one session, you'd probably be better off. Also, I believe Curves only recommends running their circuit 3X/week.
Quote:
Ok my question is - do I slow up my pace and workout in the 60% range or 50%..or?
60-65% of your max is a general rule of thumb.
Quote:
I am obese, take no medications - however the doctor told me recently after a blood test I was headed towards insulin resistence due to the following:
triglycerides: 246
Cholesterol: 212
chol/HDLC Ratio: 4.8

The Zone should help to improve those numbers. You may want to consider supplementing with high quality fish oil as well.