View Single Post
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Aug-06-03, 10:48

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 100/100/100 Female 5' 3
BF:
Progress: 102%

Back again for the final installment

At a traditional restaurant you will have no problem getting meat or fish and veg - just decline the potatoes. There are also many ethnic restaurants. i suggest you go to atkinscenter.com and print out their guides to Chinese, Indian, Italian, and Mexican cuisine.

We ate twice in Chinese restaurants this time - for me, instead of rice, I order sauteed mung bean sprouts as a side dish (appears to be a common side dish at Chinese there) and ate my entree poured over that.

Definitely bring a carb counter for your purse. I had to whip one out in the Chinese to find out that water chestnut is high carb, bamboo shoots and mung bean sprouts are lower carb veggies.

The Irish also like cream sauces (corn starch or flour in those) and mayonnaise based salads.

One other tip, is to check out the supermarket there. You can find different flavored tuna fish in foil packets like they have here, prepared fresh mayonnaise salads. I also bought fresh almonds at a health food store and . . .

at both the health food and the regular supermarket are these incredible sugarfree diabetic chocolate bars - better than almost any chocolate I've had here. They come 5 or 6 bars in a little blue box called Cordialle Diabetic and cost about 6 euro for the box. 3 carb total after subtracting the maltitol. I brought a few home with me - I am addicted It was a really nice treat to look forward to in the afternoon when everyone else was drinking tea and biscuits . . .

Oh yeah, everywhere I went I was able to get decaf coffee!! If you are still off the caffeine like me.

At the pub I would order a glass with rum and 2 bottles of diet 7up (small glass bottles) that would last me through a few rounds with my prolific (ha!) Irish family. Also an occasional glass of Guiness (ask for a glass not a pint) which I believe is 15 carbs.

You seem to be close to maintenance so you should have no problem Feel free to ask any more q's you might have.

ps. you can rent a carseat from the car rental company for a per day charge if you want to for your daughter.