View Single Post
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Aug-06-03, 10:22

Plan: fat, fat, fat
Stats: 225/212/160 Female 5' 3.5"
BF:
Progress: 20%

Just wantd to say that I have "tested" the yoghurt carb count thing by testing my blood glucose after having eaten a cup of yoghurt, unsweetened, twice without adding anything and twice with blueberries added in an amount that would have put me "over" my carb count if the yoghurt bacteria hadn't "eaten" some of the carbs. At no time did I get a significant rise in blood sugar, hence no insulin reaction to worry about. This made me feel comfortable counting one cup of yoghurt as having about 4 effective carbs. I do think the sugars/carbs are "eaten" by the active bacteria in the process of fermentation.

That being said, anyone who wants to go ahead and count the carbs as listed on the label (where the process of fermentation isn't accounted for) would just be giving themselves a sort of buffer -- a "just in case." If that allows them to feel more comfortable with having a little yoghurt, I'm all for it! <g> My favorite way to have yoghurt is to have a cup of whole milk yoghurt with a little Splenda flavoured syrup (I like strawberry) and 1/4-1/3 cup of berries or an ounce or two of nuts, and 2-3 T. of flax meal. One of my favorite breakfasts!

Lene'