Old Tue, Aug-05-03, 06:14
Forum Moderator

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skully
I ive in Sydney Australia and have just recently found this great site I would very much appreciate your input in relation to the amount of protein I should be eating. I exercise 6 sometimes 7 times per week four around 45 minutes to 60 minutes per session (high intensity) . I am a female who is 49 years young and I currently weigh 71.8 kilos. Could you possible convert that into the amount of protein I should be consuming each day. I am terribly worried that I am over doing it and i don't want to do thatI look forward to your response if you can spare the time. Take care and God Bless America

G'day Skully, good to meet another Aussie!

Okay, you currently weigh 158 pounds. From what you describe, I'd call your exercise regime Very Active, which requires a minimum of 0.8g protein per pound of your lean body mass (see my post above posted July 17th at 0950). You describe your fat as 34% - is that right? If so, your lean body mass will be 104 pounds. So your protein requirement will be 83g. Remember, this is a minimum. And that also assumes your body fat to be 34% - are you sure that is accurate? It seems to me if you are exercising, and you only weigh 158 lbs, that your body fat will probably be less than that.

Absolutely do not worry about overdoing it. See what the Eades say about eating more protein than the recommended amount:
Quote:
Is it all right to eat more protein than my recommended amount?

Yes. You can eat more protein if you still are hungry, providing you do not have any existing kidney problems. We would monitor your intake more closely in that situation.

http://www.eatprotein.com/answers1.htm#1d

You will occasionally see people worrying about excess protein turning into glucose. Again, don't worry about that. You would have to be eating huge amounts of protein for that to happen.

Are you using Fitday? If so, how much protein have you been getting? I tend to doubt you've been overdoing it.

All the best!

Rosebud