Old Mon, Aug-04-03, 17:09

Plan: Atkins - Maintenance
Stats: 185/150/150 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbermudez
20 carbs is 20 carbs, right?

All things being equal, yes. The only notable exception are the carb foods with fiber, which slows the digestive process giving a longer feeling of satiety, and slowing insulin secretion. At least, that's my understanding of fiber.

Personally, I have no idea when my body excretes insulin, and I never pay attention to fiber. Having said that, for me, the ONLY reason to ever eat veggies--since I disdain and loathe the taste--is for the nutrients. Veggies on a per calorie/nutrient ratio are the highest of any food group, but taste the worst (again, in my view).

So, if we take away the fiber from the equation, then truly, a carb is a carb regardless. Our body will treat (once again, sans fiber) 20 carbs of pure granulated sugar just as it would 20 carbs of spinach, broccoli, or whatever veggie every espouses to eat. There is no high quality carb, only complex carbs; and, only because it's got fiber. That's it.

To summarize, theoretically if I take in 20 packs of pure sugar, a multi-vitamin (for the sake of argument, I'll neglect to consider body absorption rate), and pop a fiber pill during dinner, the net effect will be absolutely identical if I had eaten the same amount of carbs in spinach as I have with the sugar packets.

Enjoy the 20 carbs as you deem fitting,

Frederick