View Single Post
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Aug-03-03, 23:14
Registered Member

Plan: my own
Stats: 153/146/120 Female 5'2
BF:
Progress: 21%

I operate on the theory that regular consumption of artificial sugar reinforces our taste for sweets. In order to eat better FOR LIFE it is necessary to do the hard work of cultivating new habits and one of the most important ones is weaning our taste buds from the sweet stuff. Over time I believe it's possible for most adults to occasionally treat themselves to a real desert without burning in Hades or succumbing to an insatiable desire for all the treats in a baker. People freely (gleefully) admit their powerlessness in the face of sugar and bread and create all manner of replacements. It reminds me somewhat of Methadone treatment for heroin addicts. One isn't ingesting the real poison, but a replacement that's somehow better for them.

I'm too cynical to trust any artificial sweetener widely endorced by the FDA and food industry who often don't behave in our best interest. Yes, I'm just that cynical. I am still searching (in vain?) for a 'good', 'natural' sweetener for occasional desserts because it'd be wonderful to be able to have a planned endulgence that didn't cause my now stable blood sugar to go awry (see, I do understand). My standard is, if it's something I'm uncomfortable feeding my children it's probably not something I should cultivate a taste for .

Hope I didn't go too far afield, beginagain, but I am currently struggling with the same questions.

Optimist
(former SERIOUS sugar addict)