View Single Post
  #1   ^
Old Sun, Aug-03-03, 18:17

Plan: Zone
Stats: 266/258/180 Female 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 9%
Default Zone Virgin Questions and Confusion

Sorry - this is ending up long and rambling ... this will probably end up being more venting that questions!

A friend of mine and I are are going to begin doing the Zone tomorrow. She has done it before - liked it and was successful. I've been reading several different low carb/high protien books and dabbling in couple ... I just want to find something that works for me.

I will fully admitt I have not read a Zone book - buying one is on my "to do" list. I looked through my friends and have been reading up on the Zone Perfect site. I have figured (using their calculator) that I should have 11 blocks per day - three meals and two snacks. This (as many people have said) is a bit overwhelming to start.

So each block consists of 7 grams of protein, 9 grams of carbs, and 3 grams of fat. Having read through a lot of the posts in this forum am I correct in assuming that if I am having beef for dinner ... 3 oz. to get my 3 blocks according to the Food Block Database ... I do not count that fat because it is my protein source? So I need to have an additional source of fat? (According to FitDay, that has 4 grams of fat which would be a block/mini block of fat. I have been "making up" some sample meal ideas on FitDay, which I think has confused me more than it helped!) Or another example is the protein powder I recently purchased. A scoop of it contains 1.5 grams of fat, 5 grams of carb, and 25 grams of protein. First, that's too much protein (25 vs. 21) ... If I figure out the correct amount to make it 21 would I count the carbs?

How about the combination foods? It lists 1% milk ... does that mean 6 oz. of 1% milk is one complete block and therefore a good snack?

And finally, I found one thread but am just curious to ask again ... how are the Zone Perfect Meals? That would be really nice for at work! Or the Zone Perfect Shakes ... three blocks, so I believe that could be a meal.

Even as I type this, I find myself more confused! I apologize for the length of this!! My friend assures me it is much simpler than it seems - I hope she's right!
Sponsored Links