#4   ^
Old Thu, Mar-29-01, 14:22
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/190/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 50%
Smile hi sherrybee, and everyone

Several nurses, and and lots of other very knowledgeable and experienced members here too! I'm still coping with a really bad flu, so my brain isn't at 50% even, but I'll take a stab at it...

There's tons of anecdotal evidence that a lowcarb diet, and eating smaller, more frequent meals is curative for GERD (GastroEsophageal Reflux Disease), but very little scientific study to explain why. In" Protein Power Lifeplan", the Eades suggest a link with insulin, but no other information. Most "official" GERD websites and organizations only advise to lose weight if obese, and stop caffeine, nicotine, alcohol and chocolate -- and peppermint.

How insulin can affect GERD -- I read through quite a few medical and scientific papers, and it seems that insulin-induced hypoglycemia can trigger spasm of the vagus nerve, and this has an effect on A) stomach acid secretion(increases); B) stomach emptying time(slows it down); and C) relaxation of the esophageal sphincter.

Insulin Resistance / Hyperinsulinemia / Syndrome X all contribute to surges and dips in insulin levels in response to a high-carb meal or snack. Blood sugar dips low in response to the excessive insulin .... the low blood sugar (hypoglycemia) stimulates the vagus nerve, and the symptoms of GERD begin. Again, this is just my inference gleaned from several studies.

So, it seems a properly planned lowcarb program relieves reflux several ways
  • controls insulin and blood sugar levels
  • smaller more frequent meals less stressful to a weakened sphincter
  • weight loss relieves abdominal pressure
We had an earlier thread going on this very topic, also from a former bulimic. You can check it out here

Hope this has been helpful, and continued good health to you! ..

Doreen