View Single Post
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Jul-31-03, 10:01
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins, Sugar Busters
Stats: 152/124/130 Female 64"
BF:
Progress: 127%

I believe it is because you do not have a gallbladder that you are losing slowly. I was on Atkins for two months & now do SugarBusters. I called my sister the other day because she has never done well on Atkins, and I am trying to get her to try SugarBusters. She has had her gallbladder removed. I was reading to her an exerpt from a book I am reading called, "good fat vs. bad fat" by Maggie Greenwood-Robinson, Ph-D.

I know those of you are truly discouraged and not looking for an excuse, but I think it helps to know that there ARE circumstances that can keep you from losing weight as quickly as others.

Here is some of what I read to my sister:

.....Fat then travels to your stomach, separates from other food components, and floats to the top of the stomach. Little fat digestion takes place here, however, since fat doesn't mix well with the watery fluids in your stomach.
Fat next enters you small intestine. To assist with digestion here, your gallbladder squirts bile into your intestine at mealtimes. In a process called emulsification, a molecule of bile attaches itself to a molecule of fat, dispersing the fat into the watery solution where it can meet fat-splitting enzymes. Long-chain fatty acids (such as meats) require bile for digestion; short & medium chains do not. Bile is produced by your liver and delivered continuously into your small intestine, not just at meals. If you have had your gallbladder removed, you will be instructed to reduce your fat intake, however, because your body can only handle only a small amount of fat at a time.

I don't want to burst anyone's bubble here, but want to share the information that I just leaned and hope it helps others like it did with my sister. She was eating a lot of meat, and wasn't able to properly digest it.

Take care!