View Single Post
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jul-30-03, 09:33
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins Modified
Stats: 225/219/175 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 12%

We worry so much about our babies don't we?
I have two exclusively breast fed kids, my daughter is six and very, very thin (like I need to alter all her pants thin), though she eats every 2 hours, cleans her plate at every meal. It's just her body type. She's so proud that her bike riding all summer has filled out her legs a bit.
My son is 3 and a complete sugar addict. refined carbs affect him very visibley. He steals food and hides it under his bed. He's normal in the weight charts and height (if there is a normal) I worry about one child not getting enough calories and the other destined to be fighting food issues all his life.
I think the food pyramid is bunk. I do. I think that kids need whole grains and fruit but in much smaller amounts that we normally give them. They need lots of good mono-unsaturated fat, nuts, olive oil. We get a margarine from the co-op made from olive oil- good fat no saturated stuff (melts at room temp though) I use whole wheat and spelt pasta for their starches with dinner. I make barley, lentils, quinoa. They miss cookies, but I figure this is the only time I'll have control over their diets so I need to make these foods something they find normal and enjoyable. We don't eat red meat or pork. We eat a lot of tofu and TVP, soy hot dogs, veggie "meat" slices with whole milk cheeses and yogurts. On the days I can keep the sugar intake low to zero, everyone is so even keeled. It makes a huge difference esp. in my son.
I am well aware that much of this food is expensive. When we are having a tight month, we end up eating rice and beans, it's just how it goes.