#2   ^
Old Tue, Jul-29-03, 22:48
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 277/223/180 Male 71
BF:
Progress: 56%

I've not tried it yet but found a couple of reviews:
The following gives it a thumbs up on taste, regarding it as even better than some regular ice creams:

http://www.fabulousfoods.com/school...d/atkinsic.html

And these folks also give it a thumbs up on taste, but complained about its price and somewhat watery texture:
http://www.epinions.com/content_106325970564

For me, taste is only part of the equation, otherwise I'd be devouring yummy Hershey SF bars: but alas, Hershey unwisely went retro and drenched their now-failing bars (soon to be removed from the market) with lactitol... the worst of the digestion-busted sugar alcohols. Besides also using Maltitol which is almost as hard on the digestion, they had the gall to add transfatty acids - a known carcinogen - quite under whelming considering how much R & D bucks Hershey had to invest in getting it right but belly-flopped instead. Why I mention this is in context with now sharing the ingredient list of Atkins Endulge Ice Cream (according to the same epinions article):

Ingredients: Cream, Nonfat Dry Milk, Whey, Sorbitol, Polydextrose, Cocoa (Processed With Alkali), Guar Gum, Mono & Diglycerides, Xanthan Gum, Polysorbate 80, Carrageenan, Vanilla (Natural and Artificial Flavor), Sucralose*

So, we have Splenda, but we also have the sugar alcohol Sorbitol, and notice that the latter is listed sooner, usually suggesting a higher quantity of it (Sorbitol) than Splenda, unfortunately. I don't offhand recall whether Sorbitol is "worse" (digestion/ketosis-busting) than Lactitol/Maltitol, but as usual with Sugar Alcohols, you'll have to endure trial and error (shrugs). Too bad Atkins didn't yet (but hopefully will in the future) empty-out their ice cream (and other Endulge products, for that matter) with Maltitol and go with the easier-on-the-gut sugar alcohol Erythritol like Carbolite's already done with their At Last chocolate bars. To that hopeful end, Atkins customer service dept recently replied to my query confirming they are indeed actively researching whether Erythritol has minimal impact upon the blood sugar.

I don't mind paying higher bucks for ice cream, but look forward to the day when we can get past the lactitol/maltitol/sorbitol syndrome...