Old Tue, Jul-29-03, 10:38
Contributing Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 260/240/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 18%
Red face I'm just easing into this WOE

Howdy, y'all...

I've been easing into Atkins most of this month and am amazed at the results so far. I just turned 60 this year and have put on probably 60 lbs. in 6 months on top of the ton I was already carrying. I'm a carb addict and I was so happy to find Atkins because it was exactly what I need...

I quit smoking 10 years ago, not easy, but you know you can't ever pick up even one again. Same for drink or drugs (which the only drugs I do are prescribed).... but you can handle cold turkey, right? But losing weight? On my gosh I get so mad now when I think of all those doctors and all those nutritionists that led me down the garden path to low fat equals low weight. How often did I get down on myself because I had no won't power? Finally I find a plan with clear cut RULES. No measurements, no balancing act, no one standing over me saying DON'T....it's just me and the scales and a hunk of cheese!

To add insult to injury I've had Type II diabetes for 10 years and 7 years ago I suffered a "silent" heart attack. I take 2 diabetes meds, 1 for high blood pressure, 2 diuretics, a cholorest. lowering pill and a couple for arthritis! I figured I couldn't lose weight between stuffing myself and the meds. Add in the old catch 22 of not wanting to exercise and you get a waddling disaster, me!

Before you all jump me for all that medical stuff, let me assure you that even though I haven't been to my cardiologist before starting the plan I do see him regularily and he's the one that planted the idea of eating more protein and less carbs in my mind. I am easing into it though. First I wanted to just cut back carbs and see if I fell over dead or anything. Then I waited for low blood sugar, but it never happened. What hit me like a ton of bricks along about day 3 or 4 was that I could do this!! My blood sugars are great when I test and even though my energy is low I'm not starving AND I haven't killed anyone!

I have a few questions, but I'm going to keep reading first and wait until I see my doctor before asking them. Mainly I wanted to vent a bit and say "hey" and thank you all for being such an inspiration to me.

Take care....stay safe.....

TexasGS (TexasGingerSnap)
Sponsored Links