#11   ^
Old Sun, Jul-27-03, 15:44

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuel
Although Atkins diet improve your health substantially, it does not improve the amount of bad cholesterol in your blood. Furthermore, if you eat large amounts of fatty red meats and eggs which are allowed in this diet, you may raise your cholesterol to an unsafe level.

I have to tell you my experience couldn't be farther from that statement. My total cholesterol and LDL did increase at first, but then dropped sharply as did my triglycerides. LDL went from 160 to 108, Tris from 250 to 125 and HDL at 45. What do I eat? Eggs, beef, pork, chicken with the skin, sausage (nitrate and sugar free), bacon and lots of veggies. Even if your LDL remains the same, if your HDL goes up and your triglycerides go down (as is commonly reported with low carbing), your cardiac profile is much improved and your risk is substantially lowered according to what is currently thought. I agree with Kent in that studies have shown repeatedly that dietary cholesterol has very little impact on total serum cholesterol.
We all have to do what we feel is best for us and with the conflicting information that is out there that becomes a formidable task and many people wind up depriving themselves unnecessarily because they are frightened by bad or conflicting information into doing so.
Since we can all react differently to the same dietary regimen, restricting yourself because of how someone else is reacting is not necessarily correct. Let your own blood tests speak for themselves.