View Single Post
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Jul-27-03, 10:42

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 178/148/133 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 67%

tholian8, looking at your numbers, I honestly don't think you have ever had enough stored body fat to experience any hormonal effects. I got the impression from my friend the physician that it takes a LOT of extra fat to alter your hormonal makeup -- but you should ask your own doctor about this.

I know that I, as well as a friend of mine, have had TOM problems associated with weight loss. Both my friend and I started having nonstop periods. And I do mean nonstop. Like, for six weeks at a time. I don't think she asked her doctor about it (she hates pelvic exams) but I did go to my doctor to ask about it, and she said nothing about "fat cells secreting hormones." (And my numbers were roughly comparable to yours when I was the amazing bleeding woman.)

Rather, my doctor said, "Stress can make your period stop or it can make it go into overdrive. Losing weight is hard on your body. When your weight stabilizes your period will go back to normal." (I always thought that stress just makes your period stop, but I guess not.)

But anyway, all I can offer your is my experience and that of people I know. Your TOM problems sound worse than anything I've encountered. You are getting medical attention for this, right?