View Single Post
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Jul-26-03, 18:21

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 320/220/195 Male 6'0"
BF:
Progress: 80%

Sugar Alcohols are Hydrogenated Sugars...Not to be mistaken for Hydrogenated Oils, which you should avoid. They normal end in the suffix -itol (Maltitol, Mannitol, Sorbitol, Xylitol, Lactitol, Erythritol, etc...) There are some exceptions to the naming conventions, namely Hydrogenated Starch Hydrolysate (HSH) and Hydrogenated Glucose Syrup.

If the package lists "Hydrogenated" followed by a Sugar (Ends in -ose) or Starch then it is a Polyol (Sugar Alcohol) and can usually be subtracted. Just remember...if the words after "Hydrogenated" is xxxx oil (I.E. Hydrogenated Soybean Oil) that it is a Trans-Fat and should be avoided. Hydrogenated Carbs = Good (unless they stall/give you gas), Hydrogenated Fats = Bad.

The prefix (I.E. Lact-) tells the sugar it came from. Lactitol is Hydrogenated Lactose. Supposedly they have minimal effect of Insulin and are OK for LCing. For some people, they cause stalling. For some the cause Gas and Bloating.

I know I can handle 2 packets of the Carbolite Gummy Bears (60g Polyols/each) with no problem. Some people can't handle a single LC Candy Bar (20g Polyols/each). YMMV. I try to avoid Maltitol due to its high Glycemic Index. I don't believe that something with a GI as high as sugar doesn't affect Insulin. Most other Polyols have very low to Zero Glycemic Indices.

BTW, Hydrogenated Sugars (most) are Naturally occuring (rare, but still natural), unlike Hydrogenated Fats which are brewed up in a lab.