View Single Post
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Jul-26-03, 16:55

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 256/220/215 Male 78 inches
BF:36/28/20
Progress: 88%

Samuel,

I couldn't DISAGREE with you more. Essentially everything you said is contrary to Dr. Atkins' book, The Age-Defying Diet Revolution and Drs. Michael and Mary Dan Eades book, Protein Power Lifeplan.

Most nuts and seeds contain high levels of Omega-6 fatty acids which are proven to be highly inflammatory and are suspect in contributing to heart disease, arthritis and intestinal diseases. Two exceptions are pinion pine nuts and macadamas nuts which I enjoy in quanity. Both books contain chapters exposing the unhealthy effects of Omega-6 fatty acids.

Cholesterol in eggs has been shown to have no effect on blood cholesterol levels. The cholesterol molecules are to big to pass through the gut-blood barrier and are broken down in digestion. The egg myth was exposed many years ago. I always eat two or three eggs for breakfast and have eaten as many as six per day.

Fatty red meat improves one's cholesterol risk ratios greatly by raising the level of good HDL cholesterol and lowering the bad triglycerides. I am well over 40 years old ( 64 actually ) and recently had my blood work done as a walk-in at Quest Diagnostics without seeing a doctor. It was great. The low-carb diet has dropped my triglycerides from 217 to 92 and my HDL cholestero has soared from 35 to 55. The risk ratio of TR/HDL dropped from 6.2 to 1.7. I eat fatty red meat at least once meal per day and mostly two or three meals per day. I eat no-sugar-added bacon lightly cook so it is still floppy with white fat showing. Crisp bacon is unhealthy because the fats have been oxdized by cooking to long. I buy the fattiest cuts of meat like ribeye steaks, cook it rare and eat all the fat.

Besides, total cholesterol has never been proven to cause heart disease even though the US government has spent hundreds of millions of dollars over the last 40 years trying to prove it. The Framingham Study proved over a 40 year period that the people who ate the most saturated fat were the most active, weighted the least and had the lowest incidence of heart disease. Only an abnormal hypercholesterolema condition has been shown to have any connection to heart disease. That is total cholesterol about 400 that is caused by a genic disorder.

Supporting links to these claims are on my web pages below.

Kent