View Single Post
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jul-25-03, 13:10

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 293/229/172 Male 5'11"
BF: Yes-VERY! %-)
Progress: 53%

I had a similar concern with the Basic 3 supplement after noting that the new packaging included the claim "Helps Maintain Blood Sugar Levels Already Within the Normal Range". As I was attempting to lower my blood sugar levels through diet alone, I was unsure whether this supplement would be acting to "resist" my efforts. I sent email to the Atkins site then, a week later, called them.

Unfortunately, I got no response to either communication. I can understand their reluctance to provide medical advice at a distance, but I saw no alternative to discontinuing use of the product in the absence of some guidence from the manufacturer.

I have replaced this supplement with a standard multivitamin supplement. After the second week of Induction, my peak blood glucose levels were reduced to less than half of my pre-diet levels. At my 6th week I had new bloods drawn, and my BG results were completely normal (although I did have a substantial LDL rise, associated with rapid weight loss.) My triglycerides were also down by nearly 35%...only 10% above normal...for the first time in 10 years.

So, I'm very pleased with the results of the diet...but not too confident that the Basic 3 supplement is a good idea for me.